The Center

The UFSCar Center for Agricultural Sciences (CCA), located in Araras, state of São Paulo, has its roots in the historical context of the municipality. In its 230 hectares of area, initially there were the coffee plantations of the Santa Escolástica Farm, which in 1953 was bought by the president of the Sugar and Alcohol Institute [EA1] (IAA). At this moment, the farm starts its activities with sugarcane through the National Program for Sugarcane Breeding (Planalsucar).

In 1990, there was the extinction of the IAA, through Law 8029/90 and Decree 9940/90, and in 1991 UFSCar incorporated the São Paulo units of the extinct Planalsucar, giving rise to the CCA. The center's activities began that same year and in 1993 the Agronomic Engineering program was implemented. In 2006, the Bachelor's Degree in Biotechnology and the Master's Degree in Agroecology and Rural Development (PPGADR-Ar) were implemented.

With the Program to Support the Plans for Restructuring and Expanding Federal Universities (REUNI) a new opportunity arose for CCA, which in 2010 created four undergraduate programs: Bachelor's Degree in Agroecology, Degree in Physics, Biological Sciences and Chemistry, in addition to another Graduate program, Master’s Degree in Agriculture and Environment (PPGAA-Ar).

Subsequently, two new Graduate programs were created: Master’s Degree in Plant Production and Associated Bioprocesses (PPGPVBA-Ar) and Master’s Degree in Education in Science and Mathematics (PPGEdCM-Ar).

Currently, the CCA has six undergraduate programs and four stricto sensu Graduate programs, in addition to lato sensu specializations. In addition, it is structured into five departments that gather the main lines of research: Department of Biotechnology and Plant and Animal Production (DBPVA); Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection (DRNPA); Department of Agroindustrial Technology and Rural Socio-Economics (DTAiSER); Department of Rural Development (DDR); and Department of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Education (DCNME).